Home / NEWS / Taliban Threatens More Attacks Against Americans After Trump Cancels Meeting

Taliban Threatens More Attacks Against Americans After Trump Cancels Meeting

The Taliban said on Sunday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to cancel peace talks with its leadership would lead to the further loss of American lives and assets.”The Americans will suffer more than anyone else for canceling the talks,” Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the hardline insurgent group, said in a statement.He said the talks were being conducted in a smooth manner until Saturday, and both sides had agreed to hold intra-Afghan talks on Sept. 23.The threat from the Taliban comes a day after President Donald trump announced that the peace talks were cancelled.President Donald Trump has cancelled a top secret meeting with the Taliban that was supposed to take place this weekend.

The president announced on Twitter on Sunday that the meeting was cancelled after the Taliban admitted to murdering a dozen people in an attack.

The attack killed an American soldier and that ruined the peace talks between the United States and the Taliban.

“Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday.

“They were coming to the United States tonight. Unfortunately, in order to build false leverage, they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed one of our great great soldiers, and 11 other people.

“I immediately cancelled the meeting and called off peace negotiations. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?

“They didn’t, they only made it worse! If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don’t have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway. How many more decades are they willing to fight?” he said.

The attack happened on Thursday near the U.S. Embassy and it was the second major attack in a week by the terror group, The Associated Press reported.

U.S. envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, under pressure after announcing earlier in the week that “on principle” he and the Taliban had reached an agreement, returned abruptly to Qatar, site of the talks, later Thursday, officials close to the negotiations said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters.

The NATO Resolute Support mission, whose offices were near the blast, said the two service members were “killed in action,” without providing details or releasing their names. The American service member was the fourth killed in the past two weeks in Afghanistan.

“Peace with a group that is still killing innocent people is meaningless,” President Ashraf Ghani, whose government has been shut out of the U.S.-Taliban talks, said in a statement.

Another 42 people were wounded, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said. Surveillance footage showed the bomber’s vehicle turning into a checkpoint and exploding — and a passer-by trying to sprint away just seconds before the blast.

The Taliban said they targeted vehicles of “foreigners” trying to enter the heavily guarded Shashdarak area where Afghan national security authorities have offices. British soldiers at the scene retrieved what appeared to be the remains of a NATO vehicle.

Once again, stunned civilians made up most of the victims. The Taliban has said its attacks are meant to strengthen its position in talks with the U.S. and that civilians should stay away from potential targets linked to the Afghan government or foreign “invaders.”

Reuters contributed to this story.

About admin

Check Also

Trump Changes Major Border Rule – Donald Just Uncuffed ICE’s True Potential

“The Donald” just opened the floodgates – here it comes! President Trump has been fighting ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *